Author Topic: rippin' it to pieces  (Read 1297 times)

fred_dot_u

• Global Moderator
rippin' it to pieces
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
I had a small surprise the other day, closing the door on the Gizmo. I'm not harsh in treating my vehicle. I know to make it last longer, I have to be mostly conservative. I won't spin the rear wheel, regardless of how easy it is to do, because I don't feel like fighting the assemblies necessary to replace a broken belt.

That's why it was a surprise to have the handle snap out of the dash on one end recently. The nut pulled out a nice circular shaped section of fiberglass and that was it.  One can still close the door by pulling down on the side rails and underside of the dash, but it's not quite as convenient.

I chopped up some scrap carbon fiber I have, used duct tape and polyethene sheet scrap to block out one side. I stuffed the hole and surrounding underside of the dash with the carbon fiber and some top-grade West Systems epoxy, then clamped another piece of polyethene (milk bottle?) over the back side.

Not to do things half-way, I drilled it out and added fender washers to both ends of the handle behind the dash. Other than a tremendous vinegar-resistant infestation of Florida Gizmo-handle mold, it's good or better than new!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:22:55 PM by fred_dot_u »

GizmoEV

• Administrator
Re: rippin' it to pieces
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Probably not a bad idea to check mine. I have over 30k miles on my rig now. My last major repair was replacing the front axle. I was really close to the whole cross member falling off so check your rigs regularly for any unusual cracks in the frame.