Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Gizmo Discussions / Re: rippin' it to pieces
« Last post by GizmoEV on August 24, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Probably not a bad idea to check mine. I have over 30k miles on my rig now. My last major repair was replacing the front axle. I was really close to the whole cross member falling off so check your rigs regularly for any unusual cracks in the frame.
Gizmo Discussions / rippin' it to pieces
« Last post by fred_dot_u on August 23, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
I had a small surprise the other day, closing the door on the Gizmo. I'm not harsh in treating my vehicle. I know to make it last longer, I have to be mostly conservative. I won't spin the rear wheel, regardless of how easy it is to do, because I don't feel like fighting the assemblies necessary to replace a broken belt.

That's why it was a surprise to have the handle snap out of the dash on one end recently. The nut pulled out a nice circular shaped section of fiberglass and that was it.  One can still close the door by pulling down on the side rails and underside of the dash, but it's not quite as convenient.

I chopped up some scrap carbon fiber I have, used duct tape and polyethene sheet scrap to block out one side. I stuffed the hole and surrounding underside of the dash with the carbon fiber and some top-grade West Systems epoxy, then clamped another piece of polyethene (milk bottle?) over the back side.

Not to do things half-way, I drilled it out and added fender washers to both ends of the handle behind the dash. Other than a tremendous vinegar-resistant infestation of Florida Gizmo-handle mold, it's good or better than new!
Noncommercial Sale or Trade / Re: NEVCO Gizmo #35 for sale
« Last post by fred_dot_u on August 21, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
I'm keeping an eye out for the guy on the bicycle, especially as my primary transport lately has been the Gizmo. He's so enthusiastic about the Gizmo that if I told him there was one for sale, he'd wag like a dog, even though he has no tail! I'd love to have a second Gizmo in this area. It would be a revolution!
« Last post by GizmoEV on August 21, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
The Zivan NG1 is what I've seen in them but that is for charging the batteries. I'm wondering about the speed controller. Is yours like the one pictured in my post? If so it is installed under the tail on the left side. It will have relatively large wires attached to it rather than the small ones like on the Zivan charger.
« Last post by Reid on August 21, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
David: My charger is the Zivan NG1 48-15.
http://www.zivanusa.com/NG1BatteryCharger.htm

I don't know if it's "standard"  or not, but I know it's not the first one that was in there. I think Rob Schiavonne, two owners ago, had updated it.
« Last post by fred_dot_u on August 10, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »
I wear the seatbelt that is part of the vehicle. Who am I kidding? The nose is quarter inch fiberglass and isn't going to provide any protection, so what good is a seat belt?

It's a security blanket, makes me feel better, that's all.

I would not want the extra weight and heat of a helmet in the Florida summer and it would really increase the "peculiar" aspect of the vehicle. Of course, as peculiar as a Gizmo is, what's a little bit more?

My brakes are hydraulic disks and require no adjustment. If yours are the same, you could have air in the lines or need to flush them out and put clean stuff in. That's an interesting project, because the calipers are dual piston design and have to be removed in order to twist them around to get all the air out and have a solid braking system again.
Noncommercial Sale or Trade / Re: NEVCO Gizmo for sale
« Last post by Reid on August 10, 2015, 08:36:23 AM »
I will check on the controller next weekend and post some pictures.
It's been fun already. It's up and running around.
It does need some brake adjustment. I ran over my foot trying to Flintstone stop last night.
I'm fine. It was pretty funny. Too heavy to Flintstone stop, it turns out.
 ;D

Mostly, I'm having a blast fiddling with it.

Honestly, though, doesn't it make you want to wear a helmet driving in it?
If you ever did take a hit, your head would pinball around the roll cage, no?
« Last post by GizmoEV on August 09, 2015, 11:09:49 AM »
Hi Reid,

I've found the order they made them didn't necessarily mean the motor controller setups were the same. Fred and I (I have #31) have the same motor and controller setup (and I think DC-DC converter) but many other things were different. Ours have the SepEx controller and motor where as others, even later builds, had the series motor and controller. Which motor/controller setup do you have? The attached picture is of the SepEx controller.
« Last post by fred_dot_u on August 09, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »
I think I have number 32, so you have all the right stuff on your Gizmo. There's a local fellow who is fascinated with my Gizmo and desperately wants one. Shipping from the west coast isn't particularly difficult nor expensive, so that would not be a problem for this local. Unfortunately, I see him so darn rarely that I'm not likely to "run into him" in a timely manner. If I do, I will pass along this information, of course.
« Last post by Reid on August 09, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »
It's #35.
It has the much quieter and more efficient belt drive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10